My hackintosh has been running strong since the initial setup a few months ago. This Sunday I decided to update from version
10.13.2 to the latest version
10.13.3 which was released on February 20th.
The MacOS Update
I lied, I actually performed a clean install. The past few months I’ve been running MacOS on my secondary SSD. I’ve been so impressed with the hackintosh’s stability that I decided to replace Windows 10 (on my main SSD) with MacOS.
Problem: Laggy Graphics
A latest version of the Nvidia web driver is horrible. It causes unbelievable UI lag. The solution is to install an older version of the driver. Luckily a guy named Vulgo created a CLI for managing this.
I installed version
sudo webdriver -l, and then unlocked the driver for my build version with
sudo webdriver -m. Problem solved.
System Definition Update
When setting up a hackintosh you have to choose a system definition. To my understanding a system definition tells the OS about your hardware and how to operate it. You can’t create your own system definitions though, you have to choose one of a real Mac. Furthermore you’re supposed to choose the system definition closest to the hardware you’re using.
Prior to this weekend I was using
14,2 which is the definition of a 2013 iMac. Everything worked fine, but recently Clover Configurator added a the
18,3 definition, which is the definition of a 2017 iMac with a kaby-lake 7700 (just like I have). I decided to switch to it.
Problem: USB ports stopped working
As soon as I switched over all my USB ports stopped working. The fix was follow an extreme lengthy guide: Creating a Custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext.
The gist of the guide is this:
- Inject every single possible USB port location
- Figure out which ones are being used
- Create a custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext
I felt like I was guessing the entire time following the guide, but in the end everything worked and the guide creator verified my work. Here’s the SSDT I ended up with in the end.
A performance boost
By changing system definitions my system is now fine-tuned for my CPU. This brought a little performance benefit! My old Geekbench score was 5538 for single core and 18188 for multi-core. The new score is 5699 and 19938. Not a drastic improvement, but it’s something.
Reading around the tonymacx86 forums I found some people talking about how older Apple Id accounts seem to just work with hackintoshes while new ones can get blocked. I managed to recover my very first Apple I (probably close to a decade old) to test out this theory. To my surprise it worked. So I transfered everything over to this new-old ID. Text message forwarding from mu iPhone works too!